If you are a parent in need of help for a child with a disability, please email us at specialedlaw@mac.com, call us at 716-634-2753 or contact us through our website.

Monday, July 9, 2012

OSEP issues policy letter regarding work placements in IEPS

OSEP recently issued a policy letter providing guidance on a number of issues related to transition work placements. In sum:

  1. if the CSE determines that work placement is an appropriate transition service, it must be included on the IEP;

  2. initiating or changing a student’s work placement triggers prior writtten notice requirements;

  3. LRE requirements apply to work placements; and

  4. the CSE must consider supplementary aids and services necessary to enable the student to participate with other disabled and non-disabled students in the work place and the LEA must provide any supplementary aids and services as identified by the CSE on the IEP.